Dover AFB Relocation Information
Image from Dover AFB Facebook
Welcome to Dover AFB!
Dover AFB is home to the 436th Airlift Wing of the Air Mobility Command (AMC), known as the Eagle Wing, and the 512th Airlift Wing, which is a Reserve associate and referred to as the Liberty Wing. Dover AFB also houses the world’s largest aerial port which moves more cargo than Federal Express and UPS combined. As well, the largest military mortuary in the DoD is based at Dover AFB, and is used for processing military personnel killed in both war and peacetime. Team Dover's mission focus is to safely fix and fly aircraft, prepare and deploy Airmen, move cargo, and return America's fallen heroes with dignity, honor and respect.
Dover AFB, Delaware, is the home of the C-5 Galaxy and C-17 Globemaster III aircraft. The Eagle Wing provides 25% of the nation's strategic airlift capability, projecting global reach to over 100 countries around the world. Team Dover has a total force strength Team Dover, with a total force strength (active duty, Guard, Reserve, civilians, and dependents) of about 11,000.
Image from Downtown Dover Happenings Facebook
Dover AFB is located in the center of the “Delmarva”--Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia peninsula. Delaware is known as the “First State.”
Frequently Asked Questions About Dover AFB
A Dover Air Force Base C-5M Super Galaxy sits on the flight line at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, July 13, 2021. Dover AFB C-5s provide outsized cargo delivery worldwide to meet Department of Defense, Department of State and presidential mobility requirements. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Faith Schaefer)
1) What city is Dover AFB in?
Dover AFB is in the city of Dover, Delaware.
2) Is Dover AFB open for tours?
Tours are given Tuesdays through Thursdays. Get more information at Dover AFB Tours.
3) How far is Dover AFB from the nearest large city?
Washington, D.C.; Philadelphia, PA; Baltimore, MD; and Wilmington, DE, are all within a 2-hour commute of Dover AFB.
4) What is the zip code for Dover AFB?
The zip code for Dover AFB is 19902. Other nearby zip codes include 19904 and 19934.
5) What is the BAH for Dover AFB?
BAH for Dover AFB ranges from $2,001 for E-1 to $2,577 for E-9 with dependents, and $2,157 for O-1 to $2,907 for O-7 with dependents.
Base Location and Information
A C-5M Super Galaxy taxis to a parking spot after landing Dec. 17, 2020, at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. Eighteen C-5Ms are assigned to Dover AFB. (U.S. Air Force photo by Roland Balik)
Dover AFB is located approximately two miles southeast of the city center of Dover, Delaware. About 5 miles south of Dover AFB is the city of Magnolia. If you continue south you will pass Frederica, Lynch Heights, Milford, and finally Lincoln, DE, located about 20 miles from the base. Approximately 5 miles west of Dover AFB is the city of Camden, DE, and if you continue heading southwest from Camden, you will reach Felton, DE, with its city center approximately 13 miles from Dover AFB.
The largest city near the base is Dover which offers big city conveniences and a short commute to work. In Delaware, you’ll experience all four seasons, and will have easy access to some of America’s major cities along the Eastern Seaboard. Note that vehicle insurance in Delaware can be expensive, so be sure to research rates before your PCS move.
Image from Dover AFB, Eagles Rest Inn Facebook
For reservations with children and pet-friendly rooms, it’s advised you contact the lodging office for the latest information.
Dover AFB Lodging contact info:
Dover AFB Housing
Dover AFB Off-Base Housing
Image from Unsplash
Dover AFB is near Dover, the state capital, and Camden, Delaware. The cost of living in Dover is slightly above the national average.
Dover AFB BAH
The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a U.S. based allowance determined by geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. It provides uniformed servicemembers compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets when government quarters are not provided. Learn more about your Basic Allowance for Housing.
The Dover AFB BAH is close to/above the cost of living in the area. Some sample Dover AFB BAH rates for zip code 19902:
- E-1 with dependents: $2,001
- E-1 without dependents: $1,605
- E-9 with dependents: $2,577
- E-9 without dependents: $2,061
- O-1 with dependents: $2,151
- O-1 without dependents: $1,746
- O-7 with dependents: $2,907
- O-7 without dependents: $2,538
back to top
Area Weather & Climate
Photo by Denis Saklakov on Unsplash
You'll experience all four seasons while at Dover AFB! Summers are pleasant with low humidity and snow is possible in winter. Hurricanes are a possibility in Delaware, with the hurricane season from June through November. Make plans to be prepared in advance.
Dover AFB Area Schools
Photo by Jasper Garratt on Unsplash
Dover AFB school-aged children attending public schools are assigned to the Caesar Rodney School District. There are many options for whatever school choice your family makes, whether it’s public schools, private, or homeschooling.
School district map from Caesar Rodney School District
Dover AFB schooling information and contacts:
back to top
Support for Military and Families
Photo by Benjamin Manley on Unsplash
For military spouses looking to further their employment while stationed at Dover AFB, top career fields in the area include government, trade, transportation, education and health services, leisure and hospitality, manufacturing, professional and business services, construction, and finance. As of June 2021, the area unemployment rate is 7.7%.
Some of the Dover AFB area’s largest employers:
- Dover AFB
- Bayhealth Medical Center
- Dover Downs
- Delaware State University
- Capital School District
- Kraft Foods
- Bank of America
Wanting to volunteer during your time at Dover AFB? Connect with these organizations!
Looking to further your education? Consider these area colleges:
More Helpful Links
Things to Do Near Dover AFB
Start your off-base explorations near Dover AFB with these ideas!
Image from Visit Delaware
- Air Mobility Command Museum: museum dedicated to airlift and air refueling history.
- First State Heritage Park: Urban park featuring Revolutionary War tour leaders for seasonal programs, craft workshops, and special events highlighting historical times.
- Dover International Speedway: Opened in 1969, it’s the largest concrete-only NASCAR venue. It also hosts the Firefly Music Festival, a top 5 U.S. music festival designation by Rolling Stone Magazine.
- Delaware Seashore State Park: 20 miles of shoreline for fishing or beachcombing, featuring waterfront campground and cottages.
- Killens Pond State Park: Features a waterpark and pondside trail loop with an elevated boardwalk ideal for walkers and bikers. Also enjoy wildlife viewing and camping.
- Wilmington and Western Railroad: Built in the 1860s to serve the water-powered mills along the Red Clay Creek, it’s now a tourist railroad with historic guides providing a great way to see the city.
- Restaurant 55: Fresh burgers and 12 rotating beers on tap as well as 35 beer varieties featuring local breweries.
- The House of Coffi: Local coffee shop in historic Dover with beans roasted on site for the coffee connoisseur and caffeine junkies.
More Area Info
back to top
442 13th St, Dover, DE