Redstone Arsenal Relocation Information
Image from Team Redstone Facebook
Welcome to Redstone Arsenal!
One of the first things you’ll notice about Redstone Arsenal is the increased levels of security. There’s plenty of gate guard presence and badged civilians and military members. This is due to the nature of the facility and the increased possibility of domestic and foreign terrorism. Take a look at the 18 tenants of Redstone Arsenal and you’ll see why:
Headquarters, U.S. Army Materiel Command (AMC), U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command (AMCOM), U.S. Army Security Assistance Command, U.S. Army Contracting Command, U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command Aviation & Missile Center, Logistic Data Analysis Center; U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA), Defense Intelligence Agency/Missile and Space Intelligence Center, U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command, 2nd Recruiting Command, Redstone Test Center, U.S. Army Audit Agency, Fox Army Health Center, U.S. Army Engineering and Support Center, Huntsville, Program Executive Office Missiles and Space, Program Executive Office Aviation, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, Terrorist Explosive Devices Analytical Center, ATF- National Center for Explosives Training and Research, FBI Hazardous Devices School and Federal Bureau of Investigation.
The U.S. Army Garrison supports all organizations on the Arsenal, including 850 active duty servicemembers, their families and 35,500 DOD civilian employees and contractors. Numerous federal organizations also base out of Redstone Arsenal.
Based in Huntsville, Alabama, Redstone Arsenal has served the U.S. for more than 50 years as the Army's center for missile and rocket programs. Most recently, it was chosen to house a newly formed rocket program.
Redstone Arsenal’s crown jewel, the Marshall Space Flight Center, is home to the U.S. Space Camp and the NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge, Space & Rocket Center, and has one of the largest collections of rockets and space memorabilia in the world.
Marshall Space Flight Center’s Rocket Park, located on Redstone Arsenal, stands as a living testament to the spirit of cooperation that continues between the U.S. Army and NASA. Image credit: NASA/Charles Beason
Frequently Asked Questions About Redstone Arsenal
1) Where is Redstone Arsenal?
Redstone Arsenal is in Northern Alabama, part of the far-reaching Tennessee Valley and 15 miles south of the Tennessee border. The nearest large city is Huntsville, Alabama.
2) How many gates does Redstone Arsenal have?
Redstone Arsenal has six gates:
- Gate 1, Martin Road, East, 5:30 a.m.- 9:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Gate 3, Redstone Road, 5:30 a.m.- 6:00p.m., Outbound Only 1:00-6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Gate 7, Martin Road, West, 5:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m. Outbound Only 2:00-9:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Gate 8, Goss Road, 5:30 a.m.- 9:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- Gate 9, Rideout Road, Open 24/7
- Gate 10, Patton Road, Closed
3) Can you tour the Marshall Space Center?
Yes, you can walk through the museum and take a bus tour.
4) What is the zip code for Redstone Arsenal?
The zip code for Redstone Arsenal is 35898. Other nearby zip codes include 35758, 35757, and 35756.
5) What is the BAH for Redstone Arsenal?
BAH for Redstone Arsenal ranges from $1359 for E-1 to $1776 for E-9 with dependents and $1470 for O-1 to $2073 for O-7 with dependents.
Base Location and Information
Image from Facebook
In case you’re overwhelmed by the number of units at Redstone Arsenal: here’s a quick wrap of the base’s mission: it is home to the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command and the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, whose mission is the testing, development, and doctrine for U.S. Army missile programs.
Now, here’s what you need to know about day-to-day life near Redstone Arsenal. The base is small, only about 10 miles by 3 miles, so commuting is manageable. You’ll find easy access to everyday amenities like shopping and dining in Madison and Huntsville, which border the base. On the south side of the base, the Tennessee River forms the base’s boundary.
Redstone Arsenal base map from army.mil
Numbers show base gates as follows: 1-Martin Road East, 3-Redstone Road, 7-Martin Road West, 8-Goss Road, 9-Rideout Road, 10- Patton Road
Redstone Arsenal substantially affects the Huntsville metro area economies, and the region has seen rapid growth, including the pool of 15,000 military retirees in the vicinity. The influx of civilians and military also boosts the traffic into attractions, cultural events, restaurants, and shopping.
Nearby military installations:
Redstone Arsenal Lodging Image from IHG
Redstone Arsenal offers on-base lodging through IHG Army Hotels.
3440 Aerobee Road, Huntsville AL 35808
Redstone Arsenal Housing
Image from Hunt Military Community
Redstone Family Housing, operated by Hunt Military Community, comprises seven distinct communities with 352 traditional and renovated homes. Houses are pet-friendly in walkable neighborhoods with easy access to picnic areas, trails, playgrounds, and sports courts.
Redstone Family Housing Contact Info:
302 Hughes Drive
Redstone Arsenal, AL 35808
Redstone Arsenal Off-Post Housing
Public Domain Image
In the Huntsville area, a.k.a. The Rocket City, the cost of living is 18.42% lower than the U.S. average. There are expensive neighborhoods in the area, so consider all options before making a final housing choice. Arab, Toney, Fayetteville, Harvest, Hampton Cove, Owens Cross Roads, and Brownsboro are also close if you’re looking for housing off base.
Alabama has low taxes, especially property taxes, which is good, but some military families find the approach to infrastructure frustrating. Some roads, schools, and hospitals need attention.
back to top
Redstone Arsenal BAH
The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a U.S. based allowance determined by geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. It provides uniformed servicemembers compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets when government quarters are not provided. Learn more about your Basic Allowance for Housing.
BAH rates for Redstone Arsenal zip code 35898
- E-1 with dependents: $1359
- E-1 without dependents: $1074
- E-9 with dependents: $1776
- E-9 without dependents: $1572
- O-1 with dependents: $1470
- O-1 without dependents: $1281
- O-7 with dependents: $2073
- O-7 without dependents: $1731
Redstone Arsenal Weather & Climate
Image from City of Madison Facebook
You can probably guess that Alabama’s summers are very hot and humid. On the other hand, fall, winter, and spring are mild. This warmth appeals to many military families who relocate to the area. However, do note that Huntsville gets a considerable amount of rain each year thanks to the subtropical climate. So watch out for severe thunderstorms all year long and destructive winds and tornados in the spring and summer.
Redstone Arsenal Area Schools
Image from Huntsville City Schools Facebook
Redstone Arsenal does not offer schools on base. Military families who prefer public schools are assigned to Huntsville City Schools. Read about private schools near Redstone Arsenal at Princeton School Review. Homeschool families turn to the Huntsville Homeschool Guide for help before a PCS.
To make the best school decision for your family, reach out to Redstone Arsenal’s School Liaison Officer for more information.
Find your school on Huntsville City Schools Map Viewer.
Redstone Arsenal 35898
Support for Military and Families
Photo by Christina @ wocintechchat.com on Unsplash
Military families should take advantage of the resources designed specifically for them near Redstone Arsenal. The area provides outlets to take a look at education opportunities, career resources, and volunteerism.
These are some of the most popular job categories in the area.
- On base jobs: Dynetics, Lockheed Martin, SAIC, Northrop Grumman, U.S. Army, Boeing
- Software Developers
- Computer Analysts
- Physical Therapists
- Sales Reps
It’s pretty common to move to a new duty station and begin volunteering. Volunteer positions build social and professional networks while serving the community. So pick your favorite and jump into helping others.
Sometimes, a PCS cycle offers the perfect opportunity to head back to school, either to finish a degree or to pursue something new. Take a look at some of the higher education around Redstone Arsenal.
More Helpful Links
Military life requires support. Take advantage of the programs designed for servicemembers and their families.
Things to Do Near Redstone Arsenal
Image from Huntsville/Madison County Chamber Facebook
Take your pick! Redstone Arsenal has a few must-see eats and things to do!
- Huntsville Botanical Garden: Check out the home to the Nation’s largest open-aired butterfly house.
- US Space and Rocket Center: See the birthplace of America’s Space Program with exciting simulators.
- Huntsville Museum of Art: View seven galleries, take art classes, shop, and dine.
- Big Spring International Park: The park hosts art festivals and concerts. While you’re there, visit friendly ducks, geese, and koi. Don’t forget to snap a photo of the famous red bridge and cherry trees.
- Huntsville Alabama Paddle Trail: Get paddling! Over 60 miles of rivers make for many sunny days of floating on the water.
- Rocket City Trash Pandas Minor League Baseball: You must go to Madison just to check out the mascot!
- U.S. Veterans Memorial Museum: From the Revolutionary War to the present day, there are exhibits and memorabilia to explore.
- EarlyWorks Children’s Museum: A must do in every city. Hands-on museum for children to touch, climb, pull, and explore!
- Old Black Bear Brewing Company: Dine and drink al fresco.
- Blue Plate Cafe: Try Southern cooking and hospitality at its best.
back to top
5298 Redstone Arsenal