Norfolk Naval Base
Naval Station Norfolk Relocation Information
Image from navy.mil
Welcome to Naval Station Norfolk!
Follow the Eastern Seaboard 200 miles south from Washington D.C., and you’ll land in the metropolitan area of Hampton Roads, Virginia, where Naval Station Norfolk is located. Naval Station Norfolk is the largest Navy base in the world, and the military presence in Hampton Roads is the largest concentration of military personnel outside the Pentagon.
You’ll also note the presence of the Army, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. This melting pot of military members creates a one-of-a-kind joint forces atmosphere.
Military Bases in the Hampton Roads Area
Naval Station Norfolk is located north of the city of Norfolk, Virginia, on the peninsula known as Sewell's Point Hampton Roads. Nearby cities include Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake, VA.
Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Photo from Canva.
Moving to Norfolk? Download a free e-book about the Norfolk area and prepare for your move!
Frequently Asked Questions About Naval Station Norfolk
1) What county is Norfolk in?
Norfolk is in Norfolk City County, a county equivalent area in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Norfolk City County covers nearly 250 square kilometers of land and water.
2) Can civilians visit Naval Station Norfolk?
Yes! Tours are offered year-round. Contact the Naval Tour & Information Center for more information.
3) What is the largest Navy base?
Naval Station Norfolk is the largest naval base in the world, with the ability to host 75 ships along its piers as well as room for 130 aircraft. Naval Station Norfolk supports the readiness of the Atlantic Fleet.
4) What is there to do near Norfolk?
From beautiful beaches nearby (Ocean View Beach is an easy drive) to kid-friendly activities, shopping, and historic sites in the area, military members and their families won’t lack for outings. Other attractions nearby include Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg.
(757) 394-9164 Ext. 0
Naval Station Norfolk
BLDG S-30, WALL MANOR
Norfolk, Virginia, 23511
Naval Station Norfolk Housing
Military housing at Naval Station Norfolk is privatized. Housing consists of 10 residential communities and is provided by Liberty Military Housing.
Liberty Military Housing phone numbers:
- Ben Moreell (757) 769-8027
- Breezy Point (757) 932
- Whitehurst District Office (757) 687-0569
- Willoughby Bay District Office (757) 264-6721
- Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads Housing Service Center (800) 628-7510
Naval Station Norfolk Off-Base Housing
View homes for sale and houses for rent near Naval Station Norfolk.
Norfolk skyline. Image from Canva
With 13 military installations in the region, there are nearly endless options for housing, whether you’re looking for rural living or a city center. Some areas popular with military families include Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Newport News, and Chesapeake. The HRBT system (Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel) is an important factor for commutes. Traffic regularly backs up at the many bridges and tunnels of this coastal region. Be sure to factor in extra time if you’re making the trek across the bridge/tunnel system.
Norfolk Naval Base BAH Information
The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a U.S. based allowance determined by geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. It provides uniformed servicemembers compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets when government quarters are not provided. Learn more about your Basic Allowance for Housing.
- E-1 with dependents: $1,914
- E-1 without dependents: $1,500
- E-9 with dependents: $2,316
- E-9 without dependents: $2,100
- O-1 with dependents: $2,061
- O-1 without dependents: $1,785
- O-7 with dependents: $2,811
- O-7 without dependents: $2,247
If you enjoy four distinct seasons, you’re in luck with an assignment to the Hampton Roads area! Hot and humid during the summer months, the area also may get snowfall during winter, so keep your winter gear handy. Outdoor lovers will enjoy the area's many parks, nature trails, and beaches.
Norfolk Area Schools
It’s no secret that Virginia takes pride in ranking high on the list of the best schools in the nation. Each city and county administers its own K-12 program. See below for area counties.
Families interested in private school options should refer to the Virginia Council for Private Education website. To find out which private schools are your favorite choices in your new area, look at Private School Review.
Homeschoolers should follow the guidelines from the Virginia Department of Education handbook. There are many groups for home educators, including the Virginia Homeschoolers organization. For more information about schooling options, including a list of area school districts, download MilitaryByOwner's free Military Family Guide to Hampton Roads.
Map via Hampton Roads Chamber.
Support for Military and Families
There are numerous higher education opportunities in the area and a strong job market for spouses. Key industries in Hampton Roads include financial and corporate services, maritime, manufacturing, and much more. If you need resume assistance and info on local job openings, stop by the Norfolk Fleet and Family Support Center. Some helpful links:
Things to Do Near Norfolk Naval Base
There are plenty of activities to keep you busy during your stay in the Norfolk, VA area. Please note that event details and availability can change, so checking the latest information before planning your visit is a good idea.
1. Visit the Norfolk Botanical Garden - Explore various themed gardens, including a Japanese garden and a butterfly house.
2. Tour the Battleship Wisconsin - One of the largest and last battleships built by the U.S. Navy, now a museum.
3. Explore the Chrysler Museum of Art - Home to a diverse collection of art pieces, including glass art, European paintings, and contemporary American works.
4. Enjoy the Virginia Zoo - A great family-friendly attraction with animals from around the world.
5. Walk through the Historic Ghent District - Enjoy the charming streets, local shops, and restaurants in this vibrant neighborhood. No direct link, but you can read more on travel guides like TripAdvisor.
6. Attend a Performance at the Harrison Opera House - Check out the schedule for opera performances and other events.
7. Visit the Hermitage Museum and Gardens - An early 20th-century estate with an art collection and beautiful gardens on the Lafayette River.
8. Take a Harbor Cruise- American Rover Sailing Cruise - Enjoy the sights of Norfolk from the water with a narrated harbor cruise. American Rover Sailing Cruises
9. Stroll through Town Point Park - A beautiful waterfront park that often hosts festivals and events. No direct link, but you can find more information on Norfolk's Official Website.
10. Experience Nauticus & The National Maritime Center - An interactive science and technology center that explores the naval and nautical history of the area.
Remember to check for any seasonal events or temporary exhibits that might be available during your visit!
More Area Info
9079 Hampton Blvd
Norfolk Naval Base